From the Green Sports Alliance Web Site: AEG Report and Shows Progress Toward 2020 Environmental Goals
AEG, the leading sports and entertainment company, launched AEG 1EARTH, its corporate sustainability program, in 2007, and published the industry’s first sustainability report in 2010. Now releasing its third biannual report, AEG shares its progress towards the company’s 2020 environmental goals based on environmental performance metrics collected from its 71 owned and managed venues.
The 2014 report highlights several of the company’s recent achievements in the area of sustainability, including:
- Reducing water consumption per attendee by 31% since 2007, beating the company’s goal to achieve a 20 percent reduction by 2020
- Achieving a 58% waste diversion rate across its portfolio of venues, exceeding the company’s goal to achieve 25 percent waste diversion by 2020
- Reaching waste diversion rates in excess of 75% at 17 venues, twice the number reported in AEG’s 2012 sustainability report
- Completing energy-saving LED lighting retrofits in 27 venues
- Raising awareness for the planet by participating in Earth Hour at 58 venues
- Achieving LEED Silver certification for new construction at four major venues and hotels
“We’re proud to share our latest sustainability report, which details AEG’s ongoing efforts to be the leader in sustainability in the sports and entertainment industry,” notes John Marler, AEG’s Senior Director of Energy and Environment. “We’ve accomplished a lot in the past several years and while we still have challenges ahead, we’re looking forward to continuously improving the company’s sustainability efforts and the AEG 1EARTH sustainability program in the years to come.”
Leaders in the green sports movement have also commended AEG’s most recent sustainability report, “AEG continues to serve as a great example within the sports industry by aggressively seeking to reduce its environmental impact and broadly sharing its experiences through sustainability reporting,” says Martin Tull, Executive Director of Green Sports Alliance.
In addition to data on the company’s environmental performance metrics, the report also features examples of the AEG 1EARTH program in action at multiple iconic venues worldwide, including The O2 in London, STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, and O2 World in Berlin.
To view or download AEG’s 2014 sustainability report, visit aeg1earthreport.co