By Elizabeth Steward, The Ashkin Group
The best way to host a successful Earth Day event is through planning. The more support you get, the better your event will be. Follow these easy steps to make sure your Earth Day event is a success:
1. Develop a vision: Come up with a general idea for your Earth Day event.
2. Build a Team: We can’t solve climate change alone, and organizing is more fun with others! Build a team you can work with to plan events in your community. Identify and empower captains for various projects, such as recruitment, service, publicity, etc.
3. Define Project: With your team, create a plan for the event. Be creative. A shift in mindset can take place in many forums.
4. Set Goals: Once you have a plan, have your team set achievable goals. Remember, setting metrics for success is important for team morale. Success may be getting 10 volunteers for a park cleanup or 10,000 participants at a climate change rally. Set goals, and then work to meet and exceed them.
5. Work Out Logistics: Secure a location for the event; determine the time and date, and plan out the program schedule. Tell Earth Day Network about your event so that they can help promote it and add it to their global registry.
6. Broaden Your Team: Climate change affects people from all communities and backgrounds. Reach out to neighbors, organizations and groups who may or may not traditionally get involved with environmental causes, and bring them on as partners.
8. Media Campaign: Start marketing and advertising for your event! Work with local media, and reach out to local government officials.
9. Run a Successful Event: Make sure the event stays on schedule, and be prepared for any problems that may arise.
10. Follow-up: Get feedback from your team and event participants on your event. Find out what worked well and how you can improve next time.
And to help you share your success, we are providing you with a simple Earth Day graphic template that we developed for you to share with your colleagues, customers, friends, and others. We made the graphic easy for you to customize — just add the URL for your web site where you post Green Cleaning and/or Sustainability information. You can add your logo, as well. It’s easy to do and can be saved as a PDF for you to share. I hope you like the image that symbolizes the passing of responsibility for our Earth from one generation to the next.
Source: Earth Day Network