The ISSA 2015 tradeshow in Las Vegas in October was one of the best I have ever attended.
It held a number of highlights for me, many of which I would like to share with you. Among them were the following:
* I was honored to receive an EPA Safer Choice Partner of the Year Award. Along with this honor, I and the other award recipients were invited to be the “opening act” for a Jay Leno Las Vegas show!
* Sara Hoversten from the Green Sports Alliance was at my booth (I serve on the Alliance’s board of directors). The Alliance is planning a series of workshops in 2016 based on their “Greener Cleaning Playbook” for sports facilities. The workshops will also include a back-of-the-house tour of a professional sports facility which should make it fun and increase attendance.
We will partner with the Healthy Schools Campaign to help promote these workshops, and it looks like ISSA as well as a number of leading green manufacturers, distributors, and service providers will be sponsors. Let me know if you want more info on this.
* I gave two educational presentations. One on “The Winning Numbers Behind Sustainability” which was a discussion on the metrics that cleaning companies should capture as part of their sustainability reporting. And the other on “Help Facilities Save More and Reduce Their Environmental Impact”, which as the title suggests are Green Cleaning tactics that save money. Both presentations can be downloaded from the right hand column.
* I represented the Green Sports Alliance at an event with other ISSA partners, including BSCAI, IEHA, ARCSI, and CETA as well as nonprofits such as the Healthy Schools Campaign and a number of international organizations. As ISSA partners, we discussed how we can work together to educate the marketplace on the value of cleaning.
* We conducted drawings for an autographed Los Angeles Lakers Magic Johnson jersey, which was won by Robert Rice of the University of California at Irvine, and an autographed Tampa Bay Lightning Victor Hedman jersey, which was won by Jun Lee of the China Professional Association of Cleaning.
* We got to meet John Barrett, the new Executive Director of ISSA, and say thank you to outgoing ED John Garfinkel. ISSA surprised Garfinkel by bringing his family to Las Vegas to help us thank him for his 25 years of service and leadership. Nicely done!
* We searched for new green products and companies and were extremely excited to see that the rate of innovation continues to accelerate. From greener chemistries, packaging, dispensing systems, and applicators to advances in engineered-water devices to alternative paper products to increasing use of recycled materials to improved battery-powered vacuums to robots and more — it just keeps getting greener!
And last but certainly not least, we had a lot of fun. After all, we were in Las Vegas! Great parties, amazing people, delicious food, and unbelievably good live shows. So my thanks to all of my friends and hosts for making this year’s tradeshow so valuable and memorable.